Mailing List

Friday, December 10, 2010

Latest Stage

This one's taking longer than anticipated as I'm trying very hard to push myself forward. Right now I'm attempting to unite the right side with the left side while maintaining a sense that the right side is falling apart as a 'pictorial scene.'  I'd like more abstract elements to answer to the left side. More intuition. More randomness. More perception than concrete understanding. I want it to fall apart into shapes that I comprehend yet can't place. An aberration of the truth. Why is this taking so long? A painter's dilemma I guess. The usual struggle.

5 comments:

Scott Lesh said...

My suggestion, though unsolicited, is to either eliminate the left side completely (the right is dynamic and suggestive/interpretive) or to "destroy" it, to not hold onto the defined child who remains a static reminder of the tendency to tell rather than to show. From a purely technical/painterly standpoint you could scribble over the figure and/or let the surrounding landscape or even the bird morph over and around her until she nearly vanishes.

Katelyn Alain said...

Hi Scott,
Yes, I thought of that as well. There are many possibilities. I'm not stuck however- it's all part of the process. It will tell me what it needs as I continue to work on and alter it. I do wish I had more say in the direction it goes in ;-). Thanks for your input.

Terry Strickland said...

I love the little Girl and the ghost figures!

Katelyn Alain said...

Thank you so much Terry!

Scott Lesh said...

Your finished piece came out beautifully. You have great strength, courage and pure love for expression.